2017-11-26

Chaos Spawn

Nice to meetcha!

I have 5 converted chaos spawn now, but the last 2 have yet to have been painted.  Pretty simple to figure out where the main body for the middle and right spawn came from (the Warhammer Fantasy Isle of Blood rat ogre duo).


The "Leader"


The middle one was based on another conversion I saw online, although I can't give credit as I've lost my bookmark.  It's fairly simple...just the addition of a chaos space marine head and a sculpted collar.  I added a bit of chain from a sprue and sculpted some fur around the neck.


The "Umber Hulk"


The chap on the right was the first one I made, and mostly because I was inspired to make it look similar to a D&D "Umber Hulk".  I think I've achieved that.  I acquired both of these Isle of Blood rat ogres rather cheaply on eBay.  When digging through a pile of Tyranid bits I had received from a friend, the Umber Hulk idea struck me immediately.  I believe it's a large Tyranid's adrenal gland combined with some sort of pincer bit that I'm not going to bother ID'ing while I'm getting whacked upside the head with a juice cup by an under-the-weather toddler.  A crown of spikes and some green stuff completed the head.


The Plague Hulk


Lastly, the guy on the left was probably the most ambitious.  I intended to give him one monstrously large claw and one excised stump that was agitated and bleeding.  The legs are actually from an old metal Slaanesh Keeper of Secrets I acquired as part of a trade.  I put rusted shackles around the sculpted ankles and tried my hand at making some elephantine feet.  The toe nails are simply carved bits of sprue.  I figured I needed to do something to hide the Slaaneshi high heels since I was going for a Nurgle theme.  The bloated and tumorous body is part of (I believe) a Tyrannofex or other large Tyranid creature's bio cannon.  The two chimneys on the right shoulder kind of reference the spore chimneys on Typhus and other Nurgle models and served to help with my theme.  The head is another bit from the Chaos Space Marines possessed frame.  An Ork Boy shoulder pad garnered me some real estate to put a bit of red on the model so that I could tie it in with my Word Bearers if necessary (like the other models in the squad).  The rest of the gaps were filled with green stuff and sculpted to hopefully hide the messy joins.

At present, I feel like the newest two members of the squad were a bit lazily crafted in comparison, but perhaps a lick of paint will change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment